Tuesday, September 9, 2008

What?! Me, a Councillor?

It was certainly a surprise to be appointed a Councillor by the new Perak Government. Over 2,600 applications were received from the public seeking to fill the 100+ seats set aside to represent non-governmental organizations. We heard some 800 were shortlisted to be interviewed. I was among these, having been recommended by my service club, a substitute for another member whom I believe would make a much better candidate.

The interview was short - a few minutes for the three Perak State Executive Councillors to ask a few questions and I was out of the room. Those before me had certainly taken a much longer time, I felt. Among these were a few 'Datuks,' many notables and distinguished leaders, and a high number of professionals (doctors and engineers predominant among them). To be invited for the interview and be among these dignitaries was already a privilege and I told myself that I will not regret it if I was not appointed.

Then someone saw my name in a vernacular newspaper listing all the chosen ones. He told me a few days later but I was too busy to get a back issue. Anyway, I had not received any official notice and there could be another person with a similar name.

A day before the swearing-in, a couple of guys came to my house. As I was not in, my wife was asked where my 'clinic' was so they could hand over the letter personally. Obviously it was a shock for her to find out that I had a 'clinic' she never knew about! I found out later that the guys at the local council was told I hold a doctorate, hence the impression that I was a physician!

The next day, I joined over 300 freshly appointed Councillors of the 15 District, Municipal and City Councils in Perak at the State Secretariat. We were told that we were 'the cream of the crop' and took our oath of office and secrecy before the Perak Mentri Besar (or Chief Minister of Perak). Two third of those present represented political parties.

And thus began my journey as a Councillor serving the District of South Kinta.

1 comment:

Anthony Ng said...

Thank bro! My head is in the clouds for 2 simple reasons - at 6' tall, I tower above many, and my chinese surname (Ng) is represented by the character 'mouth' above the character 'sky'. Hahaha!