Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Learning on the Go!

The oath has been taken, my fate sealed. I now have to find out what exactly the duty of a Councillor entails! Enquiries at the Local Government Unit at the Perak State Secretariat were answered, "wait, you will be informed" so I bought copies of the Local Govt Act in Malay and English. Eager to get to know my fellow Councillors, the answer was again, "wait, you will be informed."

Nonetheless, the sense of honor and privilege was with me as I took my first 'official' trip to visit the District of Kinta South. The district stretched in the north from the border of Gopeng and Ipoh to the south slightly after Kampar, from Kota Baru in the west to Sg Siput (Selatan) to the east. In between, lay Malim Nawar and a few large 'villages' (though small towns they have become) like Mambang Di Awan, Jeram, Kuala Dipang, Kopisan & Lawan Kuda.

Over the next few days and weeks, as I traveled to every nook and corner of this district, my feelings turned from pride to curiosity, then to anxiety, even to anger. My first impression was the disparity between wealthy lushness and a landscape raped and left destitute by the tin-miners. Where the green fauna and limestone hills can be seen bordering the major roads, one has to take less traveled paths to see miles and miles of white barren sand and pools after pools of brackish water. It will be a herculean task to bring life back to these lands and as a Councillor appointed to bring quality of life to the locals, will this my destiny?

My next impression was the amount of rubbish and neglect everywhere. Is this the Council's fault or the residents, used to a simpler philosophy that whatever thrown away wherever, will be taken care of by God, nature, Council and scavengers (not necessarily in that order)? The durian season was in full swing - and its scent (or stench, if you prefer) was in the air everywhere. So were their inedible parts, too thorny to put into plastic bags for disposal, they are left enmass often by the roadside. Then there is the sand, sand, sand everywhere. Come a heavy rain, and the recently cleared canals and drains are full again, with sand!

The Council-provided amenities were everywhere... on first impression, plenty of playgrounds with pretty playthings, recycling collection centers everywhere, and many public toilets. On closer inspection, many of the playthings were poorly maintained and strewn with rubbish (often rubber-based anti-conception devices... you know what I mean!). The recycling collection centers were locked and left unused though I noted some recycling material where they shouldn't have been kept, and locked public toilets... when one needed it just then! Again, kudos to the Council for the efforts but bullocks for not managing them well. Classic case of first class infrastructure, third class mentality! A mindset the new Councillors will have to revamp with the Council employees.

Finally, the first full Council meeting was called and I will soon get to know my fellow Councillors a little better.

No comments: